Dr John Thomas is a Specialist Board Accredited Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon with more than 25 years of experience in neurosurgery. He has been the Medical Director of the Immanuel Centre for Neurosurgery since 2012.
Dr Thomas was Adjunct Associate Professor at the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School and Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon in National Neuroscience Institute (NNI), Singapore General Hospital, National Cancer Centre (NCC) and Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) from 2008 to 2015. Prior to this, Dr Thomas served as the Senior Consultant and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at Singapore General Hospital.
The Ministry of Health Singapore appointed Dr Thomas as Chairman of the Residency Accreditation Committee for Neurosurgery in Singapore, which oversees neurosurgical training for Singapore, for 3 terms, from 2012 to 2018.
At NNI and SGH, he was Lead Consultant for the Functional Neurosurgery Service, which deals with Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders, Epilepsy Surgery, Micro-vascular Decompression for Trigeminal Neuralgia, Hemifacial Spasm and Endoscopic Sympathectomy for Hyperhidrosis (sweaty palms). He was also Lead Consultant for the Radiosurgery Service for Benign and Malignant Brain Tumours, Spine Tumours, Arterio-venous Malformations of the Brain and Spinal Cord and Trigeminal Neuralgia.
At Singapore General Hospital (SGH) he was the Co-Lead Consultant for Neuro-oncology for Brain Tumours, Skull Base Surgery for complex brain tumours and Aneurysm Surgery.
Dr Thomas is a graduate of the National University of Singapore Medical School. He received the Howard Eddy Medal from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons for Best Candidate in Surgery during his basic surgical training.
Dr Thomas began neurosurgical training in Singapore in 1992. He received a Ministry of Health (Singapore) HMDP Fellowship to the UK. and completed his advanced neurosurgical training in Oxford, UK. He trained in Brain and Spine Surgery, Tumour surgery, Aneurysm and Stroke surgery and Functional Neurosurgery.
Dr Thomas received a second Ministry of Health (Singapore) HMDP Fellowship to the USA. He received further training in Epilepsy surgery and Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) for Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders in Cleveland Clinic, Radiosurgery in University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and Skull Base Surgery in University of Arkansas, USA. He also trained in Functional Radiosurgery in Marseille, France.
From 1998, Dr Thomas worked as Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH), rising to serve as Senior Consultant and Head of Department of Neurosurgery SGH. Under his leadership the Department of Neurosurgery, SGH received an outstanding review during the first international hospital accreditation of SGH by the Joint Commission International (JCI).
Since 1998, Dr Thomas has been involved in the teaching of medical students, neurosurgical residents and junior consultants. Dr Thomas was the founding program director of the Singhealth Surgical Sub-Speciality Residency Program. His research interests are in the field of Brain Tumours (Neuro-oncology), Radiosurgery and Functional Neurosurgery.
- 1987: Graduated with MBBS from National University of Singapore
- 1992: Completed his basic surgical training FRCS (Edinburgh), MMed (Surgery) (Singapore)
- 1997: Completed Advanced Neurosurgical training in Oxford, UK with FRCS (Neurosurgery) (Inter-Collegiate Fellowship)
- 1998: Fellow of the Academy of Neurosurgery Singapore (FAMS)
- 2006: Completed further advanced training in USA-Cleveland Clinic, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), University of Arkansas
- Head of Department, Neurosurgery at SGH
- Lead Consultant in Radiosurgery and Functional Neurosurgery at NNI
- Co-Lead Consultant in Neuro-oncology for Brain Tumours, Skull Base Surgery and Aneurysm Surgery at both SGH and NNI
Awards and Accolades
- Howard Eddy Medal for Best Surgical Candidate
- Adjunct Associate Professor Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School
- Founding Program Director SingHealth Surgical Sub-Speciality Residency Program
- Chairman Residency Accreditation Committee (Neurosurgery) Singapore
- SingHealh Singapore Long Service Award 2015
- National Day Award 2015